Saturday, January 26, 2008

Confession Number Eleven

I must confess...

... that I have loved The Prince of Egypt since I first saw it. At the time I was only about six years old, but I knew that I liked it. It wasn't until about two years ago when I was searching through some CDs to put on my iPod that I realized how great this movie was.

I had a stack of CDs that I was uploading to itunes so my ipod would have at least some music on it when I first got it. I had gotten them from below our 30 year old stereo system. In the stack was The Prince of Egypt soundtrack. I thought, "What the hey! I'll put it on there." So it was put on my ipod. I think a song popped up on shuffle mode once and I was like, "Holy cow! This is awesome." And I fell in love.

I am so glad that I found this CD. It is so amazing! I am listening to When You Believe right now, and it is pure genius. It gets to you right at the heart. I absolutely love it! Stephen Schwartz is such an amazing composer. I love his stuff.

As for a favorite song, I don't think I can choose. It would be between "Freedom", "When You Believe", "Humanity", "The River", "It Is Only Beginning...", "Chariot Race", or "Through Heaven's Eyes". Oh, wait a second! That's like all of the songs. Oops!

If you have not heard this music I demand that you search for it online or listen to When You Believe on my myspace. It is great music.

I have even gone as far as to dream of producing this into a musical. I have already staged some of the songs and know some of the technical effects. It would definitely use shadow puppets because they looked so cool in The Lion King and they would be great for certain parts of this play. There would be a pyramid-like contraption built into the stage that would rise as people would stand at certain levels and the man would sing "Through Heaven's Eyes" at the top. Oh, and did I mention it is spinning? And for "Freedom," Miriam would be walking about the community talking about freedom of course and people would gradually join in. I have this stuff planned out so much more than I've told you. I really want this to be a musical.

No comments: