Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Intermission: "Yes We Can."

I don't like to talk about politics. I don't trust politics, or politicians, and often times I doubt people themselves; sometimes it's really hard to believe that all people are inherently good. I don't like political parties, I don't like underhanded campaign ads.

I don't like to talk about politics, but yesterday I talked more often and more passionately about politics than I ever thought I would be able to. I got riled up, I got angry, I got so pissed off that my vision bled red.

And then.

I was anxious, I was elated, I was in disbelief.

Finally, I was triumphant. We were triumphant.

I don't like to talk about politics, but last night was not about politics. Last night was not about Democrat or Republican, Obama or McCain, not for me, not even a little bit.

Last night was, simply, about America, and how lucky I am, how incredibly fortunate and thankful I am, to breathe the air in this country, to live and learn in this country. I was so filled with love, and with unity.

America is not Europe, with it's beautiful antiquity, which is drenched in elegance and wisdom. America is not China, the birthplace of my parents, which is full of life and history.

But America is mine. America is ours. I have never been so deeply in love with this country as I was last night, as I lay in bed, curled up in my comforter, watching history unfold on the television.

I am sixteen, and I could not vote in this election, despite how much I wished to. But I'd like to say thank you, to everyone who voted, no matter who for, and to everyone overseas who was so passionately devoted and supportive.

"...to all those who have wondered if Americas beacon still burns as bright - tonight we proved once more that the true strength of our nation comes not from the might of our arms or the scale of our wealth, but from the enduring power of our ideals: democracy, liberty, opportunity, and unyielding hope.

For that is the true genius of America - that America can change. Our union can be perfected. And what we have already achieved gives us hope for what we can and must achieve tomorrow."

I don't like to talk about politics, which is okay, because for me this is not about politics.

This is about a feeling. It is awe and hope and pride and this thing, this overwhelming emotion, one which starts near the base of my heart and swells upward. It makes me want to sing, to hug my loved ones close and laugh in joy.

This is about America, because I have finally seen, in full clarity, what America can be, and it is glorious.

2 comments:

justdpl said...

yay! this was an aweomse essay - post thingy. oprah would love to have you on her show. she would just think you were fabulous!

i think everyone in america should read this.... its sooo good

deelirious said...

haha, the oprah thing? i'll take that as a Class A Complement from Justin.

it's because i just watched obama's acceptance speech about sixteen times. i'll be honest, it made me cry. :)